For the Glaze
- 2 and ½ cups icing/confectioner's/powdered sugar , sieved
- ¼ cup to ⅓ cup half-and-half or heavy cream
For the Doughnuts
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 30 Cherry De-Lite dried cherries very finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk , room temperature
- 2 tablespoons Cherry De-Lite Syrup
- ¼ cup melted butter cooled to room temperature
- cups oil for frying , amount will depend on the size of your saucepan - but likely 4-5
- First make the glaze by whisking together the powdered sugar and cream. Set aside.
- To make the doughnut batter whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Stir in the chopped cherries. In a separate bowl whisk the egg, then add in the buttermilk and cherry syrup and continue whisking. Pour the pink milk mixture into the flour mixture and fold together using a large wooden spoon or rubber spatula. Finally stir in the melted butter.
- Place paper towels on a flat surface, such as a cookie tray. Clamp a deep-fry thermometer to the side of a heavy bottom saucepan or Dutch oven. Heat at least 2 inches of oil in the bottom of the pan until it reaches 350F degrees. There should be at least 2 inches between the top of the oil and the top of the pot. Fry the doughnuts by carefully dropping spoonfuls (about 1-2 teaspoons in size) into the hot oil, doing about 4-5 doughnut holes at a time. Fry for about 2 minutes, using a fork or spoon to turn the doughnuts over. Remove the doughnuts from the hot oil using a slotted spoon and place on the paper towel to cool. Break your first doughnut in half to ensure they're cooked throughout, and adjust your fry time accordingly.
- Allow the oil to come back to 350F degrees, and repeat the process with the rest of the batter.
- Once the doughnut holes have cooled slightly, dip them in the glaze and then set the doughnut holes on a wire rack to dry.